Sunday 15 March 2015

By Terry New Eye Designer Palette Smoky Nude

By Terry has recently released two limited Eye Designer Palettes. There is the more natural toned palette called Smoky Nude or the brighter more colourful option called Color Design. I bought the sedate Smoky Nude (£69).

The palette contains 10 eyeshadows that can be applied wet or dry with a mix of finishes. The palette comes in the signature purple By Terry design and the lid has a rubberised finish (pretty but a magnet for finger prints). It feels sturdy whilst still retaining a luxurious look.


It has a good sized mirror and a brush. The brush is disappointing as it feels and performs like I'd expect from a drugstore brand. Its dual ended, one side for application/blending, the other for lining. The fluffy side is too soft and long and the eye liner side is not firm enough to draw a clean line
The first row of shades are (L-R): matte black, shimmery copper, satin grey, shimmery taupe and matte deep cool toned brown.
 
The bottom row of shades are (L-R):matte mauve grey, matte pink, matte yellow peach, matte beige and matte tan.
 
 
The majority of shades (apart from the black and deep brown which has a dryer feel and do not apply as smoothly) are smooth and silky with a fine texture, the shimmer shades are my favourite as they have a creamier texture. Mattes are always a tricky formula but these are of a very good quality. Pigment is a slight issues when using them dry due to the softness and lightweight texture, colour is very quick to dissipate if you do any type of blending/sweeping motion. If you want the colour that you see in the pan you are best to use a more dense brush and press these onto the lid or use them wet.
Used with a dampened brush, pigment/vibrancy is increased and they all apply smoothly and blend well (without going thick and patchy as some shadows do when you use them damp).

Swatched below dry then damp.
 
 
 
 
I can't say that I find the shadows unique or exciting, and do pair this palette with other shades, as on its own I find the looks it creates are rather drab. Nonetheless this is very much a workhorse palette that will get a lot of use. The shades are great staples to help create a soft everyday eye or a more intense smoky eye.

Whilst I quite like this formula it doesn't supersede my favourite eye shadow brands so if you have similar shades I wouldn't suggest this is a must have.
 
Ingredients:
 
I bought this from http://uk.spacenk.com

21 comments:

  1. Hey Clare, thanks for the review! I think I am most probably going to pass. I don't like to use eyeshadows wet, so I need formulas that perform well dry. I can also see that some of these shades won't work well on me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Clare, thanks for the review! I think I am most probably going to pass. I don't like to use eyeshadows wet, so I need formulas that perform well dry. I can also see that some of these shades won't work well on me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't like using shadows wet either, I think for the price you can skip this one :)

      Delete
  3. hmm, I think I'll skip this! The overall look is gorgeous, but there's nothing about it that justifies the price point for me! I wonder how the other palette looks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think it can be skipped, its nice but I had really high expectations for this since the blushers were so nice but this didn't exceed my other preferred eyeshadow brands

      Delete
  4. Hi dear Clare! This palette is very interesting, I noticed that the first row changes a lot if swatched wet while the second row doesn't seem to change a lot, maybe because they're mainly matte while the first row presents some shimmers as you said. It's a very pretty palette for every day and that deep black and brown are the key colours to give intensity to the looks =)
    Kisses
    Marghe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right, the pigment increase isn't as much with the second row, I do prefer the top row colours I have to say, its quite nice to have but in hindsight I could have done without it.

      Delete
  5. I'd probably end up using that pink shadow as a blush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea as that shade doesn't suit me really on the lid so will try it on the cheek :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Clare,
    Thanks for the review. The palette looks stunning - I love the design on the eyeshadows. I think you're right though. The shades are a bit dupable. I can't imagine having a palette of ten shades and still needing to pull out more eyeshadows to complete a look. At this price point, you expect a bit more.
    <3
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really thinking this would wow me like the new By Terry blushers so it was a bit of a let down, if I could swap the pink, peach and tan shades in the 2nd row for some more satin/shimmer shades of a more brightening colour then it would have worked better for me, still can't have everything I guess ;)

      Delete
  7. Hi Clare, I have had my eyes on this but I have to say yours is the second not 100% positive review I have read so I am no longer sold-I think it's so expensive for poor pigmentation

    Stacey | Expat Make-Up Addict

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if the pigment went on dry like it does wet that would have been a lot better, I'm not keen on having to use shadows damp really, but then I'm rather lazy :)

      Delete
  8. Hmm mine should be here tomorrow and I was waiting in excitement until I read this. I acquired it much cheaper though, I ordered from Sephora France, there it is cheaper to start with and they had 25% off, so I took the chance. What is your favorite eye shadow formula?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good you got it for a better price, it is a nice palette if you intend to use it wet and I'm sure you'll be able to create better looks with it than I can muster. At the moment I'm really enjoying Burberry, Suqqu and Chanel (quad) shadow formulas.

      Delete
  9. It seems like all the big brands out there are releasing a designer palette! I saw this palette few times in instagram and I think I will pass this as the colors seems so similar with other large palettes I recently buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem to be where one goes the others follow :) I agree that there are similar colours to these.

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much for this post, Clare! I was very interested in checking this out once it made it to the US, but I think I will need to pass. By the way, I find your reviews very consistent with my experience with a lot of products so I appriate your blog so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that's really lovely to hear and agree we have similar thoughts on products :)
      Yes, I think for the money this isn't quite hitting the mark, its a very pleasant feeling formula but the pigment is not quite what I'd hope and the colours don't really do much for me, I don't need any help looking more tired than I already do ; )

      Delete
  11. This is finally coming to the US and I'm on a waiting list but for the amount of money it costs, I'll pass. I'm glad I reread your review since you helped me make up my mind. I love cream shadows but I don't always love using a powder damp since I don't think they blend that easily. I had some by Terry e/s years ago and wasn't impressed with them but I was hoping that the brand improved since they've gotten so big. Thanks for the save.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to help Marcia :) I've since given this to my Mum and it seems to be working better for her. Though this is a nice palette, its certainly not better than a lot of shadows already on the market.

      Delete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin