Sunday 11 November 2012

Dior Grand Bal: Fairy Golds Palette

The Fairy golds palette (£40) is the cooler toned of the two eye palettes from the holiday collection.


It contains a  frosty sheer oyster peach, a metallic golden champagne (like the Night Golds palette, this upper right shade has chunky particles and look uneven in the pan), a medium-dark brown with semi-matte finish, frosty mauve taupe and in the centre a  glitter infused frosty bright white.


Texture wise the peach and mauve taupe feel smooth and buttery, the brown and white and golden champagne have a slightly dryer feel. I always find Dior shades to blend beautifully, to have great pigment and last well, however I was very surprised to have this crease quite badly so I have to wear this with a good eye primer to get it to last. Another issues is that unlike the Night Golds, I found the top right shade to be less pigmented and prone to fall out.

Unfortunately I bought this before the store had the display out so I bought it from the drawer without being able to swatch it, had I been able to I wouldn't have bought this.
Its not that I don't like the majority of colours, but its simply too frosty (something Dior is prone to with its palettes). There is not enough contrast and I have to rely heavily on using the brown to balance the look. Though I have used all the colour below to show you, in reality I am likely not to use more than two colours at a time.

My advise with this one is that unless you like a frosty look, swatch instore before you buy because I think it looks a lot prettier in the palette than it does on.

I bought this from Boots

10 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear that this doesn't work on you that well. You know what, I have yet to find a Dior palette I truly love, the Dior palettes I have don't get to much love from me, I decided to stop buying them although I had to resist quite hard when I saw the Night Gold palette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacqueline,
    I much prefer the Night Gold palette. Yes, I think I'd struggle to name a Dior Quint where I loved all the shades, it is a shame as I do think that the formula is usually very good, I just wish they would step away from the frosts and whites :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The raeview did not like the night gold palette and loved the fairy palette who to believe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nawi,
    Its just a case of different tastes, I don't find frosty tones that flattering on me so prefer the night golds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the excellent review-- I will pass since frost and I don't get on to well! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your honesty...I was lusting after it but now I'll save my pocket money!!! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maya,
      Glad to save you the money, sure it could be spent on something much nicer ;) xxx

      Delete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin