Friday 1 October 2010

New Lipstick formulas by YSL and Dior: Rouge Dior and Rouge Pur Couture

Dior recently released a new lipstick formula, Rouge Dior Haute Couleur. The line up of 32 shades are each inspired and named after a Dior Couture dress. The lipsticks contain hyaluronic acid which is meant to soften, smooth and plump the lips.
The lipstick offers full coverage, and lasts really well. Its not a light weight lipstick (there is no slickness to it) and I don't find it particularly moisturising. It has a slightly tacky feel to it. I bought shade #296 Quadrille Beige (£22) which is a rosy beige with shimmer.

YSL's newest lipstick formula is Rouge Pur Couture. They are meant to be highly pigmented, comforting and hydrating with the added bonus of SPF 15. I swatched nearly all of the colours at the store and there is no doubting that these are pigmented. The range contains some really vibrant colours and an array of nudes. I bought shade #11 Rose Carnation (£22), which is a delicate slightly cooled pink with subtle silver shimmer.

It terms of texture its not drying nor uncomfortable but I have far more moisturising lipsticks than this.

Out of the two, although the Dior outlasts YSL, I prefer the texture and finish of YSL. I've seen a lot of raves for these so perhaps I was expecting something a bit special but I just wasn't overly impressed so won't be buying any more.

Both lipsticks are scented.

12 comments:

  1. I always shy away from high end lipsticks, because I fear that they will be too highly scented and too pigmented - I must say the swatches look wearable, but I am not a fan of any lipstick which can be drying. Thanks for the post and pics. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. These colours look very much your thing!
    I did look at both lines, but I almost found them too pigmented. I tend to prefer a somewhat glossier finish and some transparency, as I find it more forgiving...

    Love,
    Nx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the honest review about these very pretty lippies. The YSL Rouge Volupte Perle Lipsticks that you reviewed last month sound like a better fit for me. Saving my pennies for #104.

    jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of these shades look very nice. I looked at the Dior lipsticks when they came out. They swatched nicely but I couldn't pick a shade and then forgot about them. It sounds like I'd be better off getting one the Burberry lipsticks which I've still to pick up?! Go on, I know you can make me do it! ;)
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lipstickmama,
    Glad to help, for the price I was expecting them to be better than they were really, the new Hourglass ones are meant to be really moisturising and non scented so I'm going to try them next :)

    Hi Nina,
    I know what you mean. What brand makes your favorite lipsticks out of interest ? x

    Hello Jv,
    Yes, I think Rouge Volupte Perle #104 would be a better buy! I have a weakness for lipsticks so knew I'd end up having to buy these, glad I just got one of each shade.

    Hi Jane,
    Still no Burberry, get with it :p I think you need to bite the bullet and get both the shadow and lipstick in shade Rosewood x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I think I've let the side down with my lack of research on the Burberry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love the new YSL lipsticks, I picked up number 6 which is a peachy nude and I also want to get number 10.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi PinkSparkle84,
    There were some really nice colours, just don't think the formula was for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! These are both very pretty colours, I am yet to try a YSL or Dior Lipstick x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sherrie,
    They do have a nice shade range, if you do end up picking one up will be interested to know how you like them, thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting: I've tried lots of colors of new Dior lipstick, and didn't manage to find even one shade that will look good on me, even SA had to agree.., not even speaking about the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Goya,
    Thats a shame you couldn't find a shade you liked, although I think there are much better lipstick formulas out there.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin