Friday 6 August 2010

Lush: Colour Supplement & 9 to 5 Cleanser

When I first heard of the supplement I thought what a good idea it was. A formula you can mix with your own moisturiser to act as a tinted moisturiser, or as a concealer, or a foundation, allowing you to create your own perfect coverage.
I also saw the newly released liquid Cleanser called 9 to 5; my skincare tends to be on the expensive side so I am always happy to seek out cheaper substitutes.
I have had these products for quite a while as I needed to be sure before I gave you my review.
The 9-5 liquid cleanser (£7.95) is marketed for sensitive skin, it was meant to soothe irritated skin and clean the skin thoroughly.
For me this removed makeup extremely well, however I felt like I had residue left on the skin and yet my skin felt dehydrated afterwards.

Here are the ingredients for the cleanser:
I bought the supplement (£7.50) in the shade light pink. It felt quite oily on the skin but this was to be expected (it contains soya and rice bran oils). The texture is very rich and creamy. The colour is too dark, however even used neat this has little pigmentation. There is no way this provided enough coverage for my undereye area or facial discoloration. Furthermore it oxidizes as the day goes on and does not last long at all.
Here are the ingredients for the Supplement:
Fresh Rose Petal Infusion (Rosa damascena), Soya Oil (Glycine soja), Rice Bran Oil (Oryza sativa), Titanium Dioxide, Stearic Acid, Talc, Glycerine, Triethanolamine, Cetearyl Alcohol, Colour 77491, Colour 77499, Colour 77492, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

Swatches: On the right I have blended it in as much as possible
Before I go any further, for those who aren’t regular readers, I have to state that my skin is dry, sensitive and extremely reactive and acne prone (I am on medication to keep the acne under control as I suffered from severe adult acne for over 5 years). Due to this I am extremely limited in what skincare does not cause me problems.
Bearing this is mind I can say that these really did not agree with my skin, the supplements effects on my skin were obvious after every use and the cleanser I got down to ¾ of a bottle before I was able to ascertain it was causing my skin problems.

So where am I now, well when you skin is in a mess its always best to pair down completely and stick with what you know, however because I have no sense, instead of sticking to my cleaner that I know works for me (Snowberry) I got side tracked and bought from a brand I have never tried before (Nubo) so you can expect those reviews soon (of course I did not just buy a cleanser, you know I can’t just buy one thing when I try a new brand)

7 comments:

  1. My skin did not get on with Lush skincare at all when I tried it a few years back, and I've never been tempted since.

    I hope the Nubo doesn't rile yours up any further! Should've gone back to the Snowberry first ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lush facial stuff doesn't do much for my acne-prone skin either, the only product I've actually liked for the face is the Angels on Bare Skin cleanser. The 9-5 cleanser sounded lovely with the 'dove orchid and everlasting flower', it's a shame it didn't live up to it's pretty ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, this was pretty much an all round thumbs down? I hope the Nubo doesn't upset your skin any further. I've only ever had one Lush item (Dream Cream) and I made my husband go and get it as I can't abide the smell!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was standing in the lush shop three days ago and had a look at the colour supplements. I did not get any of them precisely because there is so much soy oil in there which is known to cause acne. A friend of mine worked at lush and she hasn't got very kind stories to tell of their ingredients, too.
    I'm gonna get the snowberry cleanser as I've discovered this brand recently and I am already in love!!
    Seeya, Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review, I was wondering about the colour supplement, really glad I didn't bother with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Grace,
    Here's hoping that the Nubo is a sucess, actually thinking about it quite alot of the lush bathstuff irritates my skin so probably wasn't my best idea!

    Hi Meeta,
    Yes, I really thought it would be good,I also liked the fact it didn't contain many ingredients, but not meant to be I guess.

    Hi Jane,
    Yes people either seem to either love it or hate it, I quite like the smell, but someone in my office really hates it so I had to make sure I didn't get the stuff when she was around as she always seems to smell it on people who have been in the store!

    Hi Sam,
    I wish I had realised that before I bought it. I'd love to know how you get on with the snowberry if you end up getting it x

    Hi Nat,
    Yes, can't say I'd recommend it to anyone, actually looking at other reviews the responce does seem quite mixed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm counting the days till my current face wash runs out, so I can allow myself to get the Snowberry one!! I'm gonna let you know, of course :-)
    Have a lovely evening,
    Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin