Wednesday 7 April 2010

Dolce & Gabbana Smooth Eye Colour Duo

When Selfridges starting selling online I was thrilled to see that they had D&G makeup on the site, having never tried the raved about range before I hastily tried to work out what I wanted, however it took me ages to decide what shadows to buy. The colours seemed too warm, too bright or not very unique. I was all set on duos in Stromboli and Fortune but at the last minute decided the lighter colour in Fortune looked a bit yellow so went with Rose….
I must confess that I really dislike gold packaging however this is the nicest gold I have seen, it a lighter hue and has no overly bright/shiny tackiness to it, I was surprised that the packaging was quite bulky though, I expected it to be a bit more sleek/compact.
On to the colours, the Stromboli is a warm champagne shimmer and medium to deep charcoal with silver sparkle. With the rose duo I was expecting a matte pinked white and golden shimmered rose, what I got is a shimmery, almost frosty white with a slight pink cast and a medium dusty pink with golden shimmer.
Unfortunately applied on my pale skin the pink goes on a lot lighter and brighter, for whatever reason there is no depth to the colour when I put it on. I don’t want to use the word hate so lets just say I strongly dislike the colour on me, I’ve tried using in on the lid, to line and in the crease and none seem to work, I think I’ll see if I can mix it with another colour or use it wet but for now I think I’ll just glare at it.
The eyeshadows are nicely pigmented, smooth, blend well and last, I do like the look of some of the spring and summer colours so may get some of those if they become available online.
A great resource for D&G makeup is http://www.thebeautylookbook.com/
The duos cost £22 each and I bought mine from Selfridges (http://www.selfridges.com/ ) I received my items the day after I placed the order even though I selected the normal shipping option so I was impressed with that.

5 comments:

  1. I have one quad (Elegance) and I like it, but don't absolutely adore it. I'm not convinced by the colour combinations of many of the other quads and duos too.

    I don't get on brilliantly with the lipsticks in the line; like many brands, I find them a bit drying, and the creme lipsticks are a bit too creamy for me; I have a red that I find bleeds badly without a good lipliner.

    It's a shame; I wanted to love this line. The packaging is very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grace,
    I did buy a creamy lipstick as well but was going to do it in another post as the light went bad here. I wasn't overly impressed with it either,but was wondering if the shine formula is any better,as I liked the look of Naked ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I want to try some D&G makeup soon!
    Just discovered your blog and following you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're definitely right about Fortune's golden ivory shade, I finally managed to post my swatches and I'm really sorry it took me so long...I wonder if you picked up the Soft lipstick in the end, I only swatched it on my hand and not on the lips but it felt really creamy, though perhaps Grace is right, perhaps it is TOO creamy! I have a Shine one, and it's pretty drying, lovely shade though. The one thing I like the most from the line is the Provocative blush my husband gave me last summer, and I wouldn't mind trying a bronzer, but I have too many and it's not like I can use bucket-loads of bronzer every day just so I can finish some!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Catanya,
    Thanks. If you get any D&G let me know what you think! I'm sure I'll get some more shadows soon :)

    Hello Anna,
    Just seen your post,thanks for doing the swatches :) I did get the soft lipstick, will do another post on it as couldn't get a good picture, I'm not loving it, maybe if the shine ones are drying I'll avoid those.
    I'll have a look at the blusher shades, have you tried their mascara ? x

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin